Become a Library Sponsor!
We have a waiting list of over 300 schools in Honduras interested in a library, because books are otherwise out of reach. Library sponsorship is the best way to help us reach the millions of students and teachers who crave reading and knowledge.
The Honduran school year runs from February – November, and we will choose schools on a rolling basis depending on funding availability as sponsors pledge their support. New schools are picked through a thorough application and assessment process that analyzes need, potential, and the school’s commitment to the program.
Choose to be a sponsor either on a one-time or monthly commitment. For monthly donors, we will assign a new school library each year that you continue in the sponsorship program.
Please note: Monthly donations come out automatically, it will be up to you to cancel if you would like after the 12-month time commitment. Instructions to cancel will be included in each of your monthly receipts, or you can call us for support. Each Honduran school year, we will assign a new school library if you decide to continue sponsoring.
More information here!
Your sponsorship implements a library in a very holistic process focusing on training of teachers, students and parents and reading practices integrated into the everyday school routine. Find out more about the extensive programming we do with a school throughout the year by clicking here.
Your sponsorship implements a library in a very holistic process focusing on training of teachers, students and parents and reading practices integrated into the everyday school routine.
- Application process: We look for schools who have strong leadership and the desire to collaborate. Schools fill out an application form to demonstrate their dedication and understanding of the project.
- Library Committee: The school creates their own committee of teachers, parents and students who will help organize, plan, and monitor the library. They will also help fundraise a symbolic portion of the library costs (less than 4% of the total project). This helps create ownership , pride, and better sustainability of the library.
- Installing the library: Together, community members and Chispa Project decorate and organize the library space, labeling books, creating an inventory, setting up bookshelves, and painting lively murals throughout the school to encourage reading.
- Educational Workshops:
Chispa Project provides 3 main workshops:
1) Teachers learn creative reading strategies to incorporate into daily lessons
2) Parents visit the library and discuss how to support their children’s reading habits
3) Students are oriented to the check-out process and proper care of the books.
Library Inauguration: In a day-long rotation of book-related activities for the students, teachers put into practice what they learned in the workshop. The purpose is to promote the love of books and commemorate the great achievement of the school in setting up their library.
Project Sustainability: Throughout the school year, Chispa Project maintains close contact with the school to make sure the library is running as planned. We provide technical support for maintenance and and evaluations to prove effective use of the books.
Find out more about the extensive programming we do with a school throughout the year by clicking here.
Our year-long program is detailed in a sample budget here. This budget is for a sample library for 300 students. Our largest school so far reaches 1,000 students! We base our budget on the size of the school and have a 2:1 book to student ratio.
Books and Shipping
Materials for the Teachers’ workshop
Travel and per diem expenses for 2 Chispa employees per trip
Library Materials, decorations and paint, Rotary plaque
Inauguration Fair (per student)
- Get a group to sign up to sponsor! Consider a group of friends or family, your church, social groups like a sorority or book club, or your local service club (Rotary, Kiwanis, Lion’s Club, etc)
- Checks can be made out to Chispa Project. Please include a note for your sponsorship level and sent to:
10556 Combie Road, Suite 6643
Auburn, CA 95602
- We now accept stock donations! Contact us to find out how to donate stock directly. This potentially avoids capital gains tax and lowers income tax. Speak with your financial advisor to find out how this might benefit you.